Thursday, July 5, 2012

Summer 1987 Visit to the Farm



Sometime during the summer of 1987, our family took Elsie on a day trip to the farm.  What a wonderful day we had!  Our older children, Matt, Tina & Tesa, brought their butterfly nets that day and enjoyed catching insects and butterflies.  I haven't yet found the photos we took at Orvel and Edna's house, but will post them when I do!

Here, Alma, Elsie and Darwin rest on the back porch of Alma & Darwin's home.  Alma is holding our son David Roberts Hinkley, who must be somewhere between 6 and 9 months old.

Alma Martha Bralley Hill, b. 9 Jun 1909, is 78 years old.

Elsie Lou Hill Smith, b. 11 Apr 1911 is 76 years old.

Andrew Darwin Hill, b. 6 Jan 1902, is 85 years old.

This is a poignant photo for me; this is Elsie's last trip to the farm to visit her loved ones there.  Alma marveled to us how Darwin really perked up while we were there.  He told stories all afternoon and showed us the photo catalogs of his amazing collection of arrowheads that he donated to one of the library collections at the University of Texas in Austin.

My father says that Darwin collected all kinds of fascinating things and kept these items in a barn or out-building.

Can someone please tell me--because I've forgotten--which U.T. entity houses Darwin's Native American artifacts?  I haven't had luck with online searching...

1 comment:

  1. When I was still very young, my parents gave me a one-piece, 25-pound, lemonwood longbow for Christmas. Since I had no coach, and didn't know how to use it, I learned by trial and arrow. I shot it right-handed and left-handed, not even knowing on which side of the bow to place the arrow. My targets were sparrows, horny toads, and lizards. Short of them, I began shooting at red ants. This was hard on my cedar arrows, which got progressively shorter with each shot aimed almost straight down.

    I had heard of Darwin's ability to find arrowheads, and had seen some of his awesome collection. One day, to my surprise and delight, I received a package from Darwin containing a small, complete, beautifully crafted arrowhead. I always enjoyed admiring it and showing it to my friends.

    Somehow, over the years, I lost both the arrowhead and my lemonwood longbow. Not that I need them, but I wish I still had them, the longbow to shoot, and the arrowhead to gaze upon, and wonder about who made it, and who used it to kill what or whom?
    Bud

    ReplyDelete