Monday, June 11, 2012

Elsie's Sunday School Class, July 12, 1921



(Click on photo to enlarge.)  I wish I could tell which girl is my grandmother in this photo of her July 12, 1921 Sunday School Class.  Elsie was 10 years old in 1921.  I'd say that this young lady could be Elsie:

Patsy's comment on this post is below (click "comments").  She suggests this might be A. J. and Elsie, and it sure does look like A. J.:



Does anyone know where the family went to church in 1921?  [Again, please see Patsy's comment about this post.]  Here's a photo by Barclay Gibson of a closed church in Sylvester, but I can't find out anything else about it:


(Click on the following link to see more Barclay Gibson photos of Sylvester.)
Sylvester, Texas (today)

1 comment:

  1. Patsy responded to this post:

    I couldn't pick Elsie out, either. Another choice I have is the girl second from right on the front row. Could that be A.J. next to her???

    My knowledge of where the family went to church was never in Sylvester, but at the Methodist Church on the corner of our grandpa's land.....down the hill to the west of their house where that road ends and meets the other road which goes north and south. Our grandpa donated that land to the Methodist Church for a church building and grounds......and many of us as children went to church there from time to time when we were visiting (or as in my case, when we lived out there in 1939 and later starting in 1947).

    When there were no longer enough people in the community to support the church (which by then was pastored by both Methodist and Baptist preachers .... taking turns.... the church was abandoned and the land reverted back to the owner (Grandpa's heirs). That land now is owned by the Lakeys who live up the hill to the east in a house built on the same spot as our grandparents' 1928 home. (Interesting note: The same people basically came to the Golan Methodist Church every Sunday, regardless of whether the preacher was Baptist or Methodist.)

    Later years as fewer people were living in the community, the preachers came only once a month (each) and so Sunday School was held the other Sundays and classes taught by the local parishioners. Oh yes, and there was 5th Sunday singing!

    I don't know a lot about it, but our grandfather was the Methodist and our grandmother was a member of the Church of Christ. On occasion, in their later years, I somehow seem to remember knowing that Grandpa took Grandmother to Noodle to "her" church from time to time. I also remember "her preacher" coming to their house at times when I was visiting. So I don't really know where the seven siblings actually went to church with their parent or parents.

    ReplyDelete