Friday, June 8, 2012

So much to love about this photo!


This is an amazing photo in so many ways.  I think it could win awards!  

Mother says that whenever the cousins gathered at the farm, someone would line them up (by height?  by age?)  for their photo.  I wonder if there are other such photos out there amongst the cousins...  Can't you just hear it:  "Now, go line up in front of the woodpile..."  (Note:  wood was more plentiful in those days!)  


Twenty-odd years ago, my mother made this notation on the reverse side of the photo:


These first cousins are all grandchildren of Mama & Papa Hill.   From left, they are:  Patsy Lou Hill (b. 1931), Sylvia Smith (b. 1933), Wallace Gayle Hill (b. 1935), Willie Joe (W. J.) Winter (b. 1935), Lee Matt "Bud" Smith, Jr. (b. 1936), A. Jackson Hill (b. 1936), Sheila Faye Winter (b. 1936), and Jo Marie Hill (b. 1938).

I'm going date this photo around 1941, give or take a year.  What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. Patsy responded, "Yes, the picture of the grandchildren....all in a row....is something to behold. :) I'm thinking it was taken in 1940, since our family had moved to San Antonio by 1941. I'm pretty sure that our family was still living at our farm in the Golan Community when the picture was taken. At first, I thought we were lined up chronologically, but now see that Wallace Gayle and Willie Joe are in the wrong order."

    Thank you, Patsy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, Jackson was a few months older than I. And still is. So whoever was in charge of this photo op had lined us up by height rather than age.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the only photo, to my knowledge, where my big sister is making a funny face at the camera. In every other picture, she looks great to outstanding.
    Bud

    ReplyDelete